Join the TLC Team
East Texas Program Director
Texas Land Conservancy (TLC) seeks an individual to join our team as the East Texas Program Director. This position reports to the Executive Director, is part of a four-person conservation and stewardship department, and is responsible for TLC work in East Texas, including preserve management and community outreach.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: FEBRUARY 5, 2021
About Texas Land Conservancy
Texas Land Conservancy is a non-governmental, 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to protecting land, water, and wildlife across the state of Texas.
We protect land from development.
The population in Texas grows by about 1,000 people each day, leading to an increase of sprawling urban development and demand for water. TLC permanently protects land from poorly-planned development and the negative effects of fragmentation that impact our natural resources.
We give Texans the resources they need.
Over 95% of land in Texas is privately owned. That means large-scale conservation is impossible without the help of private landowners. TLC assists private landowners who choose to protect their property from encroaching development pressure.
We connect people to nature.
From hikes, star parties, and camping weekends to conservation workshops, trivia nights, and happy hours, we spend a lot of time making sure people can enjoy and learn more about nature. With 95% of land being privately owned, it can be difficult to access nature in Texas–so our relationships with landowners allow us to share these beautiful landscapes with fellow Texans and help build a community of conservationists.
This position will be based in the East Texas region. It will require extensive travel.
Detailed Job Description
- Monitor TLC’s conservation easement and fee simple properties including GPS and photo documentation of each visit
- Coordinate site visits with landowners
- Create a written summary report of each visit
- Develop management plans for TLC preserves in the region
- Implement appropriate management on TLC preserves
- Coordinate with contractors as appropriate
- Coordinate/lead volunteer workdays
- Requires weekend work; average of one weekend/month
- Build relationships with donors, businesses, volunteers, and area naturalist groups
- Create/manage regular TLC events, including public access to preserves, happy hours, tabling, etc.
- Expectation of quarterly events on preserves
Project Evaluation and Recommendations
- Evaluate new projects including site visits and documentation of each visit
- Respond to inquiries from private landowners regarding conservation easements
- Write baseline reports for new acquisitions properties
- Includes extensive GIS mapping
- Flora/Fauna inventories
- A BS degree and a minimum of 2 years of related work experience in land conservation or natural resources field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with landowners
- MUST be proficient in ArcGIS software, map creation, and GPS use.
- MUST know Texas Flora and Fauna with emphasis on Pineywoods region
- Knowledge of prescribed burning, land management, and wildlife census techniques preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Applicants must have strong people skills and the ability to occasionally work in sensitive situations.
- EXTENSIVE travel with frequent overnight trips throughout East Texas is required.
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and background.
- Matching contribution of 6% of your base pay is provided for a retirement plan of your choice.
- Enrollment in the TLC’s health care plan (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO) is covered by TLC.
- Each regular full-time employee will receive 10 paid holidays, to be based on federal holidays.
- 12 days vacation per year for employees with less than one year service.
- TLC provides a $30 /month stipend for employees cell phone use.
- Travel expenses will be reimbursed.
Applications due by February 5, 2021
Submit a resume, cover letter, and three references to Mark Steinbach, Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employer: Texas Land Conservancy
Position: East Texas Program Director
Posted: January 7, 2021
Application Deadline: February 5, 2021
Location: Houston, Texas or East Texas region
Contact: Mark Steinbach